Youth Ambassadors Program
APPLY NOW FOR 2015!
The Youth Ambassadors Program, an initiative of the U.S. Embassy, in partnership with the organization World Learning, is designed to send outstanding Argentine secondary school students from all over the country to the United States for three weeks to learn about U.S. society and culture and to share Argentina’s culture with people in the United States. Through this exchange program, the Youth Ambassadors will strengthen ties of friendship, improve their English, and also acquire new ideas for community service.
In a three week cultural exchange and leadership program that also focuses on youth citizen diplomacy and service and volunteerism, the Youth Ambassadors program offers students new international opportunities and experiences to broaden their knowledge of U.S. culture, society, and education. The participants and U.S. audiences will increase the mutual understanding among peoples of the Americas. The Youth Ambassadors program will not only provide new knowledge and experience for participants, but also prepare them for a lifetime of leadership and community service.
STRUCTURE: The Argentine and Chilean Youth Ambassadors will travel to the state of Virginia first for a program orientation. The delegations will be divided into two groups later and will travel to Kansas City, Missouri, and Dallas, Texas. Students will live with host families, attend classes, take part in volunteer activities, and participate in cultural and sport events. Lastly, the youth ambassadors will travel to Washington D.C. where they will meet with representatives of embassies and other institutions.
Student applicants should…..
- Be at least 15 years old and not more than 17 years old at the time of the exchange (March 2015);
- Have at least one more year of high school following the program (till December 2015);
- Have the ability to speak in English (students will engage in homestays with host families that do not speak Spanish);
- Attend public high school or a subsidized private school;
- Not have traveled previously to the U.S.; and
- Have permission from parents or legal guardians to participate in the three-week program in the United States.
Adult mentor applicants must…
- be citizens and have current residency in Argentina (applicants with dual U.S. citizenship will not be considered);
- be active in working with teenagers in either a high school or community setting;
- be willing to spend three weeks in the United States living with Argentine and Chilean teens;
- be willing and able to meet periodically with selected students from their city/region, during 2014-2015 to support and monitor their follow-up work;
- be proficient in English; and
- have travelled abroad in the past.
TRAVEL EXPENSES: The program will cover all expenses related to the program.
Additional questions should be emailed to argentinaYAP@gmail.com
Application Deadline: October 30, 2014
High School Students please apply online at http://www.regonline.com/YAPArgentina2015student
Adult mentors please apply online at http://www.regonline.com/YAPArgentina2015adultmentor