Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
What to expect after your visa is approved and issued

Once you have received your immigrant visa, you must enter the United States within the visa validity period to obtain an alien registration receipt or "green" card (Form I-151 or I-551) that will allow you to live and work in the United States.

  • You will receive your visa and a sealed packet from the courier service.
  • Your visa will be affixed inside your passport.  Please verify the information contained both on the visa and on the letter stapled of the package to ensure that the information is correct.  If not, please contact us.
  • Do not open the sealed visa packet, you must carry it unopened to an immigration officer at a port-of-entry.
  • You will have to pay the USCIS fee (except for K visas and returning resident visas) before you enter the US. Please click here for further information about this fee.
  • Please note the expiration date on your visa.  You must enter the United States before that date.
  • At the port of entry DHS officials will take the immigrant visa packet and assign you an "alien number". Officials will stamp your passport with this number and make a notation that you are registered for an alien registration card.
  • It normally takes several months for DHS to process and send the alien registration card to you. In the interim, the passport stamp permits employment and travel until the card arrives. You may depart and return to the US before you receive the alien registration receipt card, as long as the DHS stamp in you passport has not expired. Should you wish to leave the US and your stamp has expired and you have not yet received your alien card, you should contact DHS in the US BEFORE departure to ensure permission to return to the US. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to board the plane to return to the US.
  • If, in the future, you plan to live outside the US for more than 12 months, you must apply for a re-entry permit in the US BEFORE departure. The maximum validity of this document is two years. If the relocation is permanent, you should formally abandon your permanent resident status by returning your "green card" with completed  I-407 form (PDF-653KB) to the local US Embassy or Consulate. Without a re-entry permit, any absence from the US of 12 months or longer, or any residence established outside the US, is considered grounds for loss of permanent resident status. 

Important Notice for Newlyweds: If at the time of admission to the United States you will have not celebrated the second anniversary of your marriage, which is the basis of your immigrant status, you are subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Under these provisions, you will be granted conditional permanent residence by an officer of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at the time of your admission to the United States. You and your spouse will be required to file a joint petition (form I-751) with USCIS to have the conditional basis of your status removed.

This petition must be filed within the 90-day period immediately preceding the second anniversary of the date you were granted conditional permanent resident status. If a petition to remove the conditional basis of your status is not filed within this period, your conditional permanent status will be terminated automatically, and you will be subject to deportation from the United States.