For emergencies involving a citizen of the United States, please call the ACS Emergency Line at (54-11) 5777-4354 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. For life or death emergencies involving U.S. citizens after-hours or on the weekend, contact the Embassy duty officer at (54-11) 5777-4873.
Consular officers monitor the general welfare of United States citizens in Argentina. In this area, our services include:
- Visiting incarcerated U.S. citizens, and providing information on local attorneys;
- Helping indigent citizens find sources of funds for subsistence or temporary shelter, such as at the Salvation Army home for men and for women;
- Making inquiries of local authorities about missing U.S. citizens;
- Monitoring the welfare of children involved in custody disputes when the child is in Argentina;
- Providing appropriate and necessary assistance to U.S. citizens who are the victims of accidents and natural or manmade disasters.
If you are the victim of a crime, call the local police at 911. The U.S. Embassy cannot take custody of U.S. citizens or intervene in Argentine legal procedures. All U.S. citizens are subject to the laws of the Government of Argentina.
If you are injured and require immediate medical attention, call emergency medical services at 107.
If your passport was lost or stolen, we can assist with a replacement passport. Unless it is a life-threatening situation, the ACS Unit will assist with a limited-validity passport on the next business day. Please be prepared to contact your airline to reschedule flights.
For Non-U.S. Citizens
Legal Permanent Residents and non-U.S. citizens should seek assistance from their nearest embassy or consulate.
If you have a question regarding visa issues, please visit our Visas section.
To call Buenos Aires from outside the country, you must dial the country code (54) followed by the city code (11) before the eight-digit number. If you are calling Buenos Aires from within Argentina, you must dial the city code (011) before the eight-digit number.